Monday, December 14, 2009

Album Review: Alicia Keys - 'The Element of Freedom'


After a little over 2 years, Alicia Keys finally gives her fans a 4th studio album. The Element of Freedom, a follow-up to her multi-platinum 3rd album, As I Am, features 14 songs and is a mix of R&B, soul, pop, jazz & a lot more. As we posted earlier, the album features a collaboration with Beyoncé, and also includes background vocals by Drake on one song.

The album features production by Swizz Beatz, as well as Kerry "Krucial" Brothers, and Jeff Bhasker, among others. This album is definitely for the R&B lovers! Alicia delivers something much more different than ever before, while remaining herself and not stepping out of her comfort zone.




Get the full album review of Alicia's new album after the jump.



Alicia Keys on the new album:
"I never want to do what I already did. I want to stay true to who I am and push and push it farther than I ever did before." Keys also wants her music to push fans to experience her music in new ways with this album. "You can expect, like, to be moved," she said. "You can expect to really be into a zone. I think you can expect the unexpected cause there's going to be things that you're going to be like, 'Wow, is that her? Is that her?' And I love that about it. You can definitely expect to see major growth, but you're going to fall in love with this album."
The album starts off with a short and to-the-point intro, where she says:
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud, was more painful than the risk it took to bloom. This is the element, of freedom."
The album then goes into "Love Is Blind", which give you a old-time jazzy-blues feel. Already, you can definitely hear how Alicia is trying different things with her voice on this album. Her first single, the ballad "Doesn't Mean Anything" comes next on the album, which personally still gets heavy rotation on my iPod. "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart", Alicia's second single from this album, which was penned by producer Jeff Bhasker, is next. This has to be my favorite song by her. At first listen, I was shocked at her vocals. The sound is definitely something different by her. A lot of times artists try and branch out for different things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This works for AK! ♫ LISTEN / DOWNLOAD.

"Wait Til They See Me Smile", which is a feel-good ballad, is also a good number from the album. The  soothing "Unthinkable (I'm Ready)" is one of my faves from the album; it really takes you to another place. You might have to listen close, but this song features some background vocals from rapper Drake.  Sigh. I'm SO mad Drake didn't get a full verse! But nonetheless, ♫ LISTEN / DOWNLOAD.

Keys finally gives fans what they've been waiting years for -- an Alicia/Beyoncé collaboration. As I posted in a previous post, the two industry heavyweights worked together to record the song "Put In A Love Song", an uptempo about them wanting their man to prove their love to them. Alicia notes this song as "the most exciting collaborations of my career yet". The song has definitely grew on me since first listen. It's not my favorite song from the album, but it's not my least favorite either. Both ladies took turns singing at times (especially during the bridge), and I love when artists do that.

"This Bed" is also one of my favorites, as it reminds you of the 90's era with it's groovy sound. Alicia also does a  acoustic-like sequel to her & rapper Jay-Z's #1 single with her "Empire State of Mind, Part 2" to finish off the album.

Some of my other faves: "Love Is My Disease", "Like The Sea", "Distance and Time", "How It Feels To Fly".

I definitely think Alicia accomplished her goal. I must say I'm very impressed. I saw major growth in her artistry and instantly fell in love with this album at first listen. On multiple songs, her sound and singing style changes to display her range duality and creativity. One word to describe this album would be: unexpected. Alicia definitely exceeded my expectations and pushed herself like she wanted to do. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone looking for some good, soothing R&B music.

Pick up your copy of The Element of Freedom when it drops tomorrow.

Oh, and Mashonda gets a big ass #SoYouMAD? ;)

1 comment:

  1. YES!!!!!!!! THIS ALBUM IS PROLLY BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST IF NOT THE BEST FEMALE R&B ALBUM OF THE YEAR; I CANT WAIT TO GO BUY IT TOMORROW; EVERYONE SHOULD SUPPORT IT THIS WEEK! GET SUBO OFF THE #1 SPOT LOL; AND EFF MASHONDA!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

© 2009-2010 WigPress. @WalkBoy & @iDamien.